Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Jets' Bart Scott doesn't want his son playing football - SportingNews.com

Count New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott among NFL players who don't want theirs sons to play football.

Earlier this month, former All-Pro quarterback Kurt Warner sparked a passionate debate on the subject of player safety by admitting he preferred his sons didn't play. Warner has clarified his stance since the initial comments.

Bart Scott does not want his 7-year-old son to play football because of the risk of head trauma. (AP Photo)

Scott, entering his 11th season, told the New York Daily News he plays the game so his 7-year-old son, B.J., won't have to face the same risks.

“I don’t want my son to play football. ... With what is going on, I don’t know if it’s really worth it,” Scott told the newspaper. “I don’t want to have to deal with him getting a concussion and what it would be like later in life.

“He can play baseball. I really don’t want him boxing, either, even though he wants to box. I won’t let him box. It’s not worth it. The most important thing for me is him being around and me being able to spend a long time with him and I’m sure, at the end of the day, all the things I'm able to buy him from playing football, he’d much rather have me.”

Scott, one of the NFL's most physical players, said he's concerned about his quality of life after football.

“I’m really going to have to pay attention to my body,” Scott told the Daily News. “The brain is one thing, but also just healing up, making sure that I’m a healthy human being, whatever surgery I have to get to make sure I live a quality life, make sure that I can really flourish in my mid-years and my later years for my children.”

No comments:

Post a Comment