Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

New York Giants seven round #MockFour mock draft class - The Star-Ledger - NJ.com (blog)

With the 32nd pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St. University!

For the second draft in a row, Mike Adams was our selection in the first round.  We made the pick before news was leaked that he failed a drug test at the combine and it seems that his stock is starting to slip a bit.  Still, I love the choice of Adams here for all the same reasons I did last time.  Adams is a big kid, 6'8, 310lbs, and has very long arms, and is one of the most athletic offensive linemen in the draft.  I think he could immediately compete for the starting right tackle job, and down the line could develop into an upper tier left tackle, especially if Will Beatty continues to be unable to stay healthy.  The Giants were able to win a Super Bowl last year despite having a very poor offensive line, but they will need to improve it if they want to win another. 

With the 63rd pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (Ohio)!

I really was hoping one of the upper tier runningbacks would fall to this spot, but alas David Wilson, Chris Polk, Lamar Miller, and even LaMichael James (who I wasn't targeting) were all taken before we picked.  I also had my eyes set on Brandon Thompson (DT, Clemson) and Brandon Boykin (CB, Georgia), but they were gone by our selection.  In the end, we decided to go with Brandon Brooks who we had rated very high on our board.  Brooks is a big, powerful kid, who can immediately help out the Giants' run game.  He's had some weight  issues at times, but I think the Giants organization would be perfect for him.  Obviously, our draft room believed the Giants 31st ranked offensive line was their biggest weakness and we were thrilled to be able to address it with quality talent early in the draft.  They may not be the sexiest picks, but I was happy with the results.

With the 94th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Devon Wylie, WR, Fresno St.!

This was easily one of my favorite selections in the draft.  Devon Wylie could end up being the steal of the draft, and he is also somebody the Giants have brought in for a workout.  At 5'9, 185lbs, he's a smallish wide receiver, but he has excellent acceleration, speed, and quickness.  He also has excellent hands and should be able to develop into a very good slot guy.  I also love that he's a dynamic return man and could step right in and compete with Domenik Hixon for the job.  Of all my picks in this mock, I think Wylie might be the most likely to actually get drafted by the Giants.

With the 127th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... DaJohn Harris, DT, USC!

I loved the value of DaJohn Harris here and he should be able to provide the Giants with much needed depth at defensive tackle.  Harris is an immensely talented kid who has struggled with conditioning and consistency issues, but if placed in the right situation he should develop into a solid NFL starter.  The Giants' organization has veteran leadership and a great coaching staff that should be able to motivate and get the best out of guy like Harris.

With the 131st pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Brandon Taylor, S, LSU!

For the second time in these mock's, I was able to steal Brandon Taylor in the fourth round.  Honestly, I love this guy and I love the value here (he's 65th on Mike Maycock's top 100).  Perry Fewell loves to utilize three safety nickel looks, and with Deon Grant likely gone, Taylor should be able to step in from day one.  He has ridiculous intangibles and would quickly be a favorite of the coaching staff.  I would be very happy if Jerry Reese was able to grab Taylor here on draft day.

With the 201st pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Jack Crawford, DE, Penn St.!

Quite simply, Jack Crawford was the best player on my board and somebody who I think has incredible upside.  With key reserve defensive end, Dave Tollefson, bolting in free agency the Giants could use the depth at the position.  Crawford is a raw prospect, but his measurables are right down Jerry Reese's alley.  With the opportunity to learn from the best in Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Osi Umenyiora, I would be really intrigued to see what Crawford could develop into.

With the 239th pick of the 2012 NFL draft, the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants select... Michael Smith, RB, Utah St.! 

Michael Smith is one of my sleeper's in the draft, and a guy the Giants have shown interest in as well.  He was stuck behind Robert Turbin in college (ironically, somebody I drafted in the third round in the last mock), but shined whenever he got an opportunity, to the tune of averaging 7.6 yards per carry last season.  He has blazing speed, running a 4.35 forty in his pro day, is a strong blocker for his size, and is a decent receiver out of the backfield.  He's small at 5'8, 207lbs, but since he was lightly used in college he should have a lot left in the tank.

Well, there are the results of our #MockFour Giants' draft.  Once again, I was very satisfied with how our draft class shaped up.  I was hoping to get one of the third tier runningbacks, but in this draft they were over drafted, and I was happy to still grab a RB with a lot of upside later in the draft in Michael Smith.  I was also hoping to get a tight end, but the value never really lined up on my board, although I certainly could have chosen Dwayne Allen at the end of the second.  I was also targeting a few cornerbacks, but they never quite made it to my selection and we just missed out on our main target, Omar Bolden, in the sixth.  Overall, though, I was happy with how it all turned out and am interested to hear all of your feedback. 

Also, don't forget to follow me on Twitter @bigbluebloggers as I will be tweeting along with the NFL draft.  I hope you are all as excited as I am to see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment