Mere hours prior to the start of the NFL Draft on Thursday night, the New York Giants announced the signing of veteran defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. The news of his addition seemingly came out of left field, and buried amidst the hoopla and preparation for the draft was word that the team also looked into free agent Albert Haynesworth.
Haynesworth is a name that seemingly hangs around the Giants every time he's a free agent dating back to 2009 when the team reportedly offered him an $80 million contract. Of course, he instead opted to sign with the Washington Redskins, who gave him a seven-year deal worth $100 million. In 2011, he was traded to the New England Patriots, subsequently released a few months later and then finished the season with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Once a Pro Bowl and All-Pro player, Haynesworth's career has recently been in a downward spiral. He was unable to get along with coaches in Washington and was suspended by the team, which eventually led to him being traded. Then, in New England, he got into a face-to-face confrontation with assistant Pepper Johnson leading to his release.
In addition to his issues in Washington and New England, Haynesworth has been involved with several questionable and violent on-field actions, including the stomping incident of Dallas Cowboys center Andre Gurode in 2006. He's also been in the spotlight for several legal issues away from the field, including allegations of assault and an automobile accident that left one person paralyzed.
Whether or not Big Blue's interest fades with the addition of Rogers remains to be seen, but either way, Haynesworth is a risk not worth taking at any price.
- Be sure to "like"Â Giants 101 on FacebookÂ and to followÂ Giants 101 on Twitter
- Text "oneteam" to 20222 to donate $10 to theÂ One Team for the LightsÂ charity initiative.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- New York Giants Sign DT Shaun Rogers
- Terrell Thomas Expects to Re-Sign with New York Giants Prior to Start of NFL Free Agency
- 18+ New York Giants Signing Autographs During âAll in: a Super Bowl Champion Showâ
- New York Giantsâ Tyler Sash, Henry Hynoski Signing Autographs at Hooters in Wayne, NJ This Saturday
- Former New York Giants CB Mark Collins Signing Free Autographs Today at Miami Mikeâs in East Hanover