Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

New York Jets' Stephen Hill likes comparisons to Megatron - NFL News

Stephen Hill certainly has some lofty expectations for himself.

The New York Jets' speedy second-round pick out of Georgia Tech modeled his game after Denver's Demaryius Thomas, also a former Yellow Jackets star, but agreed Saturday with comparisons to Detroit's Calvin Johnson. 

If Hill could go old school: "Jerry Rice."

"It's really good to be compared to a great athlete, but other than that I'm trying to make my own name, so I'm at the Jets, he's at the Lions," Hill said referring to Johnson at an introductory news conference on Saturday, via the Jets official team website.

The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Hill is expected to step into a starting role opposite Santonio Holmes. He says he worked out during the last few months in Bradenton, Fla., with a number of quarterbacks, including fellow draft picks Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, and former Jets star Vinny Testaverde.

"They're expecting a lot of things out of me and I'm here day one to come out here and just play and gradually get myself to being a great player," Hill said.

Hill had just 49 career catches in three seasons at Georgia Tech as a result of the style of offense he was in, but was able to keep a positive outlook.

"Honestly, I didn't think about how it would affect my NFL chances because Demaryius Thomas came out of the same offense," he said. "It was a little frustrating because as a receiver, you're greedy and you want the ball, but the type of guy I am, I just like to win."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

No comments:

Post a Comment